How to Maximise Your Car Roof Box Storage Space
When it comes to road trips, there's nothing quite like having a car roof box to store your stuff and free up space inside the vehicle. But just because you've got a roof box doesn't mean you're making the most of it. With the right tips and tricks, you can get even more storage space and keep your gear organised.
Browse thousands of parking spaces for rentFind Parking
Are roof boxes universal?
While many car roof boxes are designed to fit a wide range of vehicles, they're not always one size fits all. Some are tailored specifically for certain car makes and models, while others are more versatile and can be adapted to fit multiple vehicles. When shopping for a roof box, it's essential to consider several factors to ensure compatibility with your vehicle:
- Roof bars: Most boxes are designed to attach to your vehicle's roof bars or rails. Check whether your car has factory-installed roof bars or if you'll need to purchase them separately. Roof bars come in various shapes, such as square, round, or aerodynamic, and not all roof boxes fit every type of bar. Make sure the box you choose is compatible with your car's roof bars or rails.
- Load capacity: Your vehicle's roof has a maximum load capacity, which includes the weight of the roof box and its contents. Consult your car's owner's manual to find the maximum weight limit and ensure that the roof box you choose, along with the items you plan to carry, doesn't exceed this limit.
- Dimensions: Roof boxes come in various lengths, widths, and heights. When selecting a roof box, consider the dimensions of your car's roof to ensure a proper fit. Additionally, keep in mind that longer boxes may interfere with the opening of your vehicle's rear hatch, so it's essential to check whether the box's length is suitable for your car.
- Mounting system: Roof boxes use different mounting systems, such as U-bolt or clamp systems. Before purchasing a roof box, verify that its mounting system is compatible with your vehicle's roof bars or rails.
Most roof box manufacturers provide a compatibility guide or a vehicle fit tool on their websites to help you find the perfect fit for your car. By considering these factors and using the available resources, you can confidently choose a roof box that will suit your car like a glove and provide the storage space you need for your adventures.
What size roof box do I need?
Choosing the right size roof box for your needs depends on different factors, such as the amount of gear you plan on taking, the number of passengers, and the duration of your trip. Roof boxes are available in a range of sizes, with capacities varying from 300 to 700 litres.
When determining the ideal roof box size, it's essential to evaluate your travel requirements. If you're embarking on a journey with a large family or planning an extended vacation, a more spacious roof box would be better suited to accommodate your needs. It will provide ample storage for everyone's belongings, ensuring a comfortable and clutter-free trip.
On the contrary, a smaller roof box could be more than sufficient if you're going on a shorter weekend getaway or have fewer passengers. Opting for a compact roof box saves you money and reduces the impact on your car's fuel efficiency.
Another critical aspect to consider is the size of your vehicle and its roof. A roof box should not be so large that it causes aerodynamic issues or obstructs your rear-view, affecting your driving experience and safety. Take the time to check your car's dimensions and choose a roof box that is in keeping with its size, ensuring a secure fit.
In summary, selecting the right size roof box involves considering your travel needs, the number of passengers, and your vehicle's dimensions.
How to pack a roof box
Packing a car roof box effectively is an art form in itself. Here are a few tips to help you pack like a pro:
- Distribute weight evenly: Keep the heaviest items in the middle, while lighter items can be placed towards the edges. This will ensure better weight distribution and minimise the impact on your car's handling.
- Use soft bags instead of hard suitcases: Soft bags can be more easily squeezed into smaller spaces, allowing you to maximise your storage.
- Layer your items: Start with a base layer of larger, flat items, like tents or sleeping pads. Then, add medium-sized items, followed by smaller ones. This will help you create a solid foundation and prevent items from shifting during transit.
- Fill the gaps: Utilise every inch of space by filling gaps with smaller items, like shoes or toiletries.
- Strap it down: Secure your items with straps or bungee cords to stop them from moving around while you're on the road.
Top car roof box organisation tips and tricks
Now that you know how to pack your roof box, let's explore some organisation tips to make your life easier:
- Use packing cubes or small bags: Keep similar items together and easily accessible by using packing cubes or smaller bags.
- Label your bags and containers: Include what is inside them so you can easily find what you need. No rummaging is required.
- Create an inventory list: Before you set off, make a list of everything you've packed. This will help you keep track of your belongings and make unpacking a breeze.
- Keep essentials within reach: Make sure frequently used items, like jackets, hats, or snacks, are easy to access, either near the opening or in the car itself.
- Use a waterproof cover: Protect your belongings from rain or snow by investing in a waterproof cover for your box. This will give you peace of mind, knowing your gear is safe and dry, no matter the weather conditions.
- Pack a step stool: A small, foldable step stool can be a lifesaver when reaching items in your car roof box, especially if your car is tall.
- Unpack as you go: As you use items from your roof box, try to unpack and repack the box in an organised manner. This will help maintain order and make it easier to find what you need throughout your trip.
Maximising your car storage space and keeping it organised is essential for a stress-free and enjoyable road trip. By following these tips and tricks, you'll not only make the most of your roof box but also ensure your belongings are easily accessible and well-protected. Enjoy your travels!
Browse thousands of parking spaces for rentFind Parking
Written 24th Apr 2023
Top articles for Parking