Eaves Storage: What Is It and How to Best Use It?
Discover the benefits of eaves storage and learn how to make the most of this overlooked space in your home.
If you have a loft space, you may have heard the term "eaves storage." But what exactly is eaves storage, and how can you make the most of this often underused space in your home? In this article, we'll answer some common questions about eaves storage and share tips for how to best use it.
What are eaves?
Eaves are the parts of a roof that extend beyond the walls of a building. They provide protection from the elements and help to direct water away from the walls and foundation of a building. Eaves can also add aesthetic value to a building and are often decorated with features like soffits and fascia boards.
Eaves come in many shapes and sizes, depending on the style of the building and where the building is located. Some eaves are quite small and simple, while others are elaborate and ornate. Some eaves are supported by brackets or corbels, while others are cantilevered from the walls of the building
What is eaves storage?
Eaves storage, also known as attic storage, is the space between the sloping ceiling of the top floor of a building and the sloping roof. This space is often underused, but it can provide great storage space for items that you don't use regularly or seasonally. Similar in ways to understair storage, it makes the most of an awkward space!
How Make The Perfect Under Stairs Shoe Storage Space
One of the benefits of eaves storage is that it is often out of sight, which can help to reduce clutter in your living space. However, it's important to note that eaves storage can also be tricky to access, especially if there is no existing access point. Installing a pull-down ladder or hatch can make it easier to get into your eaves storage. Unless you have completed a loft conversion to create a loft room with stairs to access!
When considering eaves storage, it's important to take into account the weight of the items you are storing. While eaves can be used for storage, they are not designed to hold heavy items, so it's important to store only lightweight items or distribute the weight evenly across the eaves.
Overall, eaves storage can be a great way to free up space in your living areas and keep your home organised. By taking the time to properly organise and access your eaves storage, you can make the most of this often-overlooked space in your home.
What can I use eaves for?
There are many different uses for eaves storage, depending on your needs and preferences. Here are some of the most common uses:
- Storage Solutions: Eaves storage solutions can provide additional space to store items that you don't use regularly or seasonally.
- Built-in furniture: Often people will use the slope of the roof to create amazing customer furniture including an eaves wardrobe, drawers and even desks.
- Organising seasonal items: You can use eaves storage to organise seasonal items such as holiday decorations, winter coats, or summer clothes.
- Home office or workspace: If you're short on space, you can convert your eaves storage into a small home office or workspace.
- Children's play area: You can turn your eaves storage into a children's play area by adding a few toys, a rug, and some seating.
- Reading nook: Eaves storage can be transformed into a cosy reading nook by adding a comfortable chair or sofa, a lamp, and some shelves to store your books.
- Home gym: You can create a home gym in your eaves storage by adding some exercise equipment, mirrors, and a yoga mat.
- Attic bedroom: If you have frequent guests, you can turn your eaves storage into a comfortable guest room by adding a bed, some furniture, and bedding – check out the image at the top where someone has created an en-suite in their eaves!
Dormer Loft Conversion – Important Things to Consider
What are the most common eaves storage usages?
The most common uses for eaves storage space are as follows:
- Seasonal items: Eaves storage is a great place to store items that you only use seasonally. Such as holiday decorations, winter coats, or summer clothes. Make sure to label storage boxes or bins so that you can easily find what you need when you need them.
- Memorabilia: Eaves storage is also an ideal place to store memorabilia; such as photo albums, or your U10 Player of the Match trophy. This will help protect these items from damage or loss.
- Luggage: Storing your luggage in eaves storage can be a great way to free up closet or floor space. Storing large items in your luggage is also a great way to maximise space.
- Sporting equipment: Eaves are usually long and thin, making them a perfect storage space for sporting equipment that you don't use regularly - like skis, snowboards, or camping gear. Just make sure that your equipment is clean and dry before storing it to prevent damage or mould growth.
- Off-season items: Eaves storage is also a great place to store off-season items, such as air conditioners, fans, or heaters. This will help keep these items out of the way and free up space in your home during the off-season.
- Extra bedding: Eaves storage can also be a great place to store extra bedding such as blankets, pillows, and sheets. Again, a good tip is to make sure that your bedding is clean and dry before storing it to prevent damage or mould growth.
- Books and magazines: Finally, eaves storage can be a perfect spot to store books, magazines, and other reading materials that you don't use regularly. Just be sure to protect your items from moisture and pests by using plastic containers or sealed boxes.
Eaves storage can be a versatile space that can be used for a variety of purposes depending on your lifestyle. By making the most of this often-overlooked space, you can increase the storage and living space in your home. Just remember to organise your eaves storage by labelling boxes and bins to make it easier to find items when you need them.
If you still need more space to store your stuff, we are sure to have the right space for you - check out what we have available!
Browse thousands of storage spacesFind storage
16th Mar 2023
Top articles for Lifestyle & Home