Prepare for Post-Lockdown Life with Stashbee
The government recently announced a roadmap to lift lockdown. We can still hear the collective sigh of relief. The vaccination rollout has given us a renewed sense of optimism. As you can imagine, people are VERY excited about what this means for post-lockdown life.
Luckily, Stashbee is here to help you prepare for our new normality. No, not the new normal of Zoom and pyjamas – that got old quickly. We’re talking about the ‘New Normal: Version 2.0’. We predict a lot of people will finally be on the move, albeit with face coverings at the ready. This means you might be looking for storage space or thinking of earning some passive income renting out your space.
Plans that have been frozen all winter will melt in the spring sun. Stashbee has lots of ideas of how you can prepare for post-lockdown life, so get ready!
The Latest on the UK Lockdown
So the UK government finally gave the go-ahead to lift lockdown. Are you cautiously peeking around the corner wondering if it’s third time lucky? This time there’s more reason for optimism. The vaccination programme continues while infection rates slow down. The secondary and primary schools have returned to class (8 March). Things are definitely looking up.
As of today, Friday 26 March, here is a very brief lockdown update for the UK. We got this information from the government’s roadmap to easing lockdown, so remember to keep checking the latest updates.
- Step 1 V1 (8 March): Children are back in school and wraparound childcare is permitted. Care home residents can welcome one regular visitor. People can continue to go outside for recreation but are limited to meeting with one person not from their household. Standard.
- Step 1 V2 (29 March): While the ‘stay at home’ rule is due to end on the 29th, lots of restrictions (such as working from home whenever possible) are still in place. The biggest change is that outdoor gatherings (including in private gardens) of six people or two households will now be allowed, making it much easier for friends and families to meet outside. And all this, just in time for Easter!
- Step 2 (no earlier than 12 April): Shops open for non-essential retail, and hairdressers, salons, and some public buildings will reopen. Hospitality venues will open for outdoor use with no curfew. You can go to open-air attractions including zoos and theme parks. Gyms and swimming pools will reopen for individuals or people from the same households. Better than Christmas, right?
- Step 3 (no earlier than 17 May): Up to 30(!) people can meet in outdoor settings. Six people or two households can meet indoors. Indoor hospitality venues such as pubs, hotels, cinemas, and indoor adult group sports classes will reopen. Indoor events venues accommodating up to 1,000 people and outdoor venues with a capacity of 4,000 people can open. Up to 30 people will be able to attend weddings and funerals. Now that’s music to our ears!
- Step 4 (no earlier than 21 June): Normal life resumes…? We’re hoping that there will be no further restrictions on social contact from this point on. Nightclubs will reopen and all limits on weddings and other events will be lifted. Fingers crossed, knock on wood, pet your lucky rabbit’s foot!
At the moment the next big step seems to be 12 April. Shops! Hairdressers! Restaurants! And the big one for us Brits… pubs (well, beer gardens, but beggars can’t be choosers). Plenty of people are probably hoping for a sunny spring without those notorious April showers. We’re hoping the English weather gods will give us a break just this once… we deserve it after the year we’ve had!
Get Ready for the New Normal with Stashbee
21 June might seem like a long ways away, but there’s one good thing about everything opening up again slowly: there’s so much to look forward to. What you used to take for granted will now seem like brand-new experiences. Here are some ideas to make the most of your new normal.
1. Make money while you travel
Now that the coronavirus vaccine is widely available, international travel is set to increase. Maybe you’re going to be dusting off your suitcase and heading overseas. If you decide to go away for more than a quick holiday, your house is going to be missing you - so give it some company!
Why not rent your unused space out with Stashbee while you’re off travelling? In these uncertain times, you’ll find our flexible policies reassuring in case you need to come home quickly. Cancel or change booking dates on our platform at any time. It’s all so simple - and who doesn’t want to make some extra income (by doing nothing, we might add) while they’re off travelling?
2. Consider a passive income
Have you spent lockdown bingeing YouTube’s business guru videos? If you’re suddenly itching to become an entrepreneur, you don’t have to look far from home. Your spare room, garage, or driveway can be rented out as a storage or parking space - and you don’t have to lift a finger.
More people are going to move house now that restrictions in England are easing and it's less of a hassle. And, as people are able to travel further afield and go back to work, they might also need a reliable parking space. Do you have a driveway or garage in a city centre or near an airport? Well, you’ve pretty much hit the passive income jackpot!
3. Hit the shops
Even though it’s likely we’ll have to use face coverings for the foreseeable future, we’ll actually be able to go into shops again. When was the last time you were somewhere that wasn’t a supermarket, off-licence, or pharmacy? Yeah, it’s quite a distant memory, isn’t it? Online shopping is great but waiting weeks for an exchange when you get the wrong size shoes is frustrating. Soon you’ll be able to try on those shoes in person again (and maybe even buy them with the cash you’ve made hosting through us). How did we get to the point where trying on shoes in shops sounds novel?!
4. Ditch Netflix (temporarily at least)
We all love a good binge-watching session, but by now we need a night off. Soon the days will be longer and we can meet friends for al fresco drinks and meals. That’s music to our ears... which live concerts will also be! Fingers crossed we’ll be able to do a lot more socialising, even if it is outside for much of the year. And if you really can’t tear yourself away from a screen, at least make it a big one. From early summer cinemas will be open. Get ready for surround sound!
5. Get cultural
History and art lovers will finally be able to access museums and galleries from mid-May if all goes well. Social distancing measures will still be in place, of course, but you’ll be able to see all those famous artefacts up close. If you’re missing the West End, theatres are also set to reopen by early summer. Jazz hands at the ready!
6. Get behind the wheel of a supercar
You’re probably craving a change of pace, since strolling around parks and making the trip between your sofa and fridge just doesn’t cut it anymore. So how about something a little more high octane? Getting behind the wheel of a supercar on a track day is a great way to let off some steam. If you want to buy your own set of wheels, car showrooms open on 12 April. Nowhere to park it? Don’t forget, Stashbee can help you find a parking space.
We said supercar not Superman… (source: http://gifloop.tumblr.com/post/1181034510/jzamorano-via-skittleguy-via)
We hope this helps you navigate the post-lockdown world - and remember, making a passive income through Stashbee is a great way to line your pockets as you pay for novelties like a drink at the pub and a haircut. As always, we’re happy to help with any questions, so please do get in touch if you’d like to know more about listing your space.
26th Mar 2021