How to Organise Your Garden Tool Storage: Tips and Tricks
Gardening can be a relaxing and rewarding hobby, but it requires a lot of tools and equipment that can easily become cluttered and disorganised. Keeping your garden tools in good condition and easily accessible can make all the difference in your gardening experience. In this article, we'll share some tips on how to organise your shed or garage to create more functional storage for gardening tools.
Garden storage might not be something front of mind when purchasing a house, but the outdoor space probably will be, hence this is often a solution needed after the fact!
Browse thousands of spacesFind Storage
Tips for organising your garden shed
Here are some tips for creating an organised and clean space. This will help you complete jobs quicker and hopefully give you more time to enjoy your outside space!
- Use a pegboard or wall-mounted tool rack: Pegboards and tool racks are great for organising your most frequently used tools. By hanging your tools on a pegboard or tool rack, you'll be able to easily see what you have and find what you need quickly. Be sure to label each hook or section of the board so you can easily see where each tool should be returned.
- Use shelving units to store smaller items: Shelving units are perfect for storing smaller items that may get lost or buried under larger tools. Be sure to label each shelf so you can easily find what you need. Consider using clear plastic bins to store items like seeds or gloves, as this will make it easy to see what's inside without having to open each bin.
- Use hooks to hang larger items: Hanging your larger tools like shovels and rakes will help keep them off the ground and prevent damage. Consider using different sizes of hooks to accommodate various tool sizes. You may also want to consider a magnetic tool holder for smaller metal tools.
- The lawn mower: your lawn mower will likely be your largest item in the shed and is tricky to store. If you have the space to get it into a corner great, otherwise, this will probably just have to go into the storage shed last.
- Label everything: Labelling is essential to keeping your shed organised. Be sure to label each shelf, bin, and hook so you can easily find what you need. You may also want to consider using colour coding to help differentiate between different types of tools or areas of the shed.
- Storage boxes: Having clear and organised storage boxes is key. Keeping all of your fixings - screws, nails, screwdrivers etc in one box and labelling this will make a massive difference.
Remember, the goal is to create a system that works for you and makes it easy to find what you need. Don't be afraid to experiment and adjust your storage system over time as your gardening needs change.
What should I store in my garden shed?
- Tool chest or cabinet: A tool chest or cabinet can be a great investment for storing your larger tools like shovels, rakes, and hoes. Look for one with drawers and adjustable shelving to accommodate various tool sizes. Some models even come with built-in locks to keep your tools secure.
- Overhead storage: Overhead storage is a great way to maximise your storage space and keep your tools off the ground. Look for an overhead storage solution that can be adjusted to fit your space and has weight-bearing capabilities to accommodate your heaviest tools.
- Wheelbarrow storage rack: If you use a wheelbarrow in your gardening, consider investing in a storage rack specifically designed to hold a wheelbarrow. This will keep your wheelbarrow out of the way and make it easy to access when you need it.
- Workbench: If you do a lot of gardening or DIY projects in your shed, a workbench can be a great investment. Look for a sturdy workbench with built-in storage and adjustable shelving to accommodate your tools and supplies. For more on this, check out our guide to choosing the best workbench
- Garden tool rack: A garden tool rack is an affordable and simple storage solution that can be mounted on a wall or placed in a corner of your shed. Look for a durable rack that can accommodate various tool sizes and has hooks or slots to keep your tools organised and easily accessible.
Remember, the most important thing when choosing a storage solution for your garden shed is to consider your specific needs and the space you have available. Don't be afraid to mix and match different solutions to create a system that works for you.
Where can I get a garden shed?
There are many places where you can purchase a garden shed, including tool stores, home improvement stores, garden centres/gardening stores, and online retailers. When choosing a shed, it's important to consider the size and material of the shed, as well as your budget.
If you're handy with tools, you may also consider building your own shed. This can be a more affordable option and allows you to customise the shed to your specific needs.
There are several retailers in the UK that offer a variety of garden sheds in different sizes, materials, and styles to fit your specific needs. Here are some of the most popular retailers for garden sheds in the UK:
- B&Q: B&Q is a popular DIY and home improvement retailer in the UK that offers a range of garden sheds in different sizes, materials, and styles. They offer a range of wooden sheds, metal sheds, and plastic sheds to fit any budget.
- Homebase: Homebase is another popular DIY and home improvement retailer in the UK that offers a variety of garden sheds. They offer wooden sheds, metal sheds, and plastic sheds in different sizes and styles.
- Wickes: Wickes is a home improvement retailer that offers a range of garden sheds in different sizes and materials. They offer wooden sheds, metal sheds, and plastic sheds in different styles to fit your specific needs.
- Argos: Argos is a popular online retailer in the UK that offers a range of garden sheds in different materials and sizes. They offer wooden sheds, metal sheds, and plastic sheds at affordable prices.
These are just a few of the most popular retailers for garden sheds in the UK. When choosing a retailer, it's important to consider factors such as price, quality, and customer reviews to ensure you get the best shed for your needs.
In conclusion, organising your garden tool storage can help you make the most of your garden shed and create a more efficient and productive space for your gardening tools and supplies. Whether you're using a pegboard or wall-mounted tool rack; shelving units or hooks, there are plenty of storage solutions to fit your needs. By maximising your shed's vertical space, using transparent storage containers, and purging any unnecessary items, you can save space and keep your tools organised.
When it comes to finding a garden shed in the UK, there are several popular retailers such as B&Q, Homebase, Wickes and Argos that offer a variety of garden sheds in different sizes, materials, and styles. With these tips and resources, you can create a more organised and efficient garden tool storage system that will help you make the most of your time in the garden.
If you need more space, despite your wonderfully organised shed, we will be sure to have the right space for you.
Browse thousands of storage spacesFind Storage
15th Feb 2023
Top articles for Lifestyle & Home